Experimenting with a crop sensor.
A few weeks back my friend, Jeanna came down from Sacramento. She had mentioned wanting to do a little photo shoot but didn't really know what she wanted, we kicked a few ideas around and landed on a swimwear shoot. Not just any swimwear though, do you remember a while back when Sunny Co Clothing™ all but broke Instagram with their giveaway of thousands of "Pamela" suits? Well, Jeanna got hers in black.
Jeanna and I have shot 100's of photos together and just to spice thing up a little I decided to shoot this session on a crop sensor. I used the Canon 80D with a few lenses.
At first, I felt clumsy and unsure of everything. After working with full frame cameras for so long it was difficult to predict how light would be read by the camera, how close or far I needed to be to compose the shot, everything was a struggle.
For both of these shots, I used a Neewer 47x71 oval diffuser in the top image you can see it wasn't quite big enough and I couldn't cover her legs creating a blown out highlight. I can fix it in Photoshop but honestly, it's more work than it's worth. the same goes for masking or cloning out the the shadow in the sand in the bottom image.
After 15 minutes or so I started finding my rhythm and things started to flow. It was mid day when we got to the beach, mostly because I have no sense of direction and got us totally lost. The sun being directly over head always makes finding nice light a challenge so we found shade where we could.
I played around with putting Jeanna in the shade and exposing for the shadows hoping for some really cool light leaks from the blown out background. over all, I'm about 70% satisfied with the effect. I think had I spent another 10 minutes or so I could have gotten that up to about 90% but the cave i was hiding in was seeping water onto my camera and lens and neithr are weather sealed so i felt it was time to move on.